Friday nights have been steak salad nights, in our house. I see clients all day on Friday afternoon so by the time I get home my brain is usually a little fried (especially if I snuck in a barre class before heading home!) and I’m not willing to make anything complicated. So rather than call in takeout, we’ve been declaring Fridays steak salad night and throwing together a super quick salad with some seared Butcherbox steak. Recently, we’ve been enjoying their flavorful flank steaks.
Flank steak is one of those cuts people get all worried about cooking. Because it is a less expensive, leaner cut, it does take some getting used to cooking- but it’s super flavorful, so it’s one of our favorites for throwing on top of a salad. I prefer to simply sear quickly in a cast iron pan and finish in the oven for perfect doneness. After all, the oven’s already on for those tender, crispy asparagus spears, anyway.
This salad came together with some of my favorite spring ingredients- fresh market arugula, asparagus, goat cheese and some perfectly ripe avocado pair with a simply seasoned steak and some super-flavorful chimichurri on top.
Chimmi-what? Chimichurri is one of my favorite sauces to jazz up just about anything- chicken, fish, steak. It’s an herb sauce made by blending or pulsing herbs with oil and vinegar for a zesty, bright sauce perfect for the warmer months. Bonus: It’s SUPER easy to make (and it keeps well in the fridge, for a few days)
1/4 cup stemmed + roughly chopped parsley*
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro*
2 tbsp finely chopped shallot
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3 tbsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil + as needed
red pepper flakes (optional)
sea salt to taste
1. Add parsley, cilantro, shallot and garlic to a food processor. Pulse lightly to combine.
2. Add lemon juice or vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Pulse to combine (mixture can be as textured as you prefer!).
3. Add more olive oil as desired, and season with sea salt (pulse in red pepper flakes if you like a little kick!).
*experiment with ratios of herbs to see what you prefer! I like an even mix of parsley + cilantro, some recipes have more parsley, some more cilantro- you do you!
Flank Steak Salad with asparagus, avocado and chimichurri:
2 6-oz flank steaks
1 bunch asparagus
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
1 avocado, sliced
3 cups baby arugula
avocado oil as needed
sea salt, pepper and garlic powder
optional: drizzle of ranch dressing
1. For steak: remove from fridge 15 minutes prior to cooking. Season generously with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Heat avocado oil in a cast-iron or grill pan to medium high. Sear steak for 2-3 minutes per side (depending on thickness- check for doneness).
3. Meanwhile, drizzle asparagus with avocado oil and sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder. Roast in oven for 8-12 minutes (depending on thickness) until tender.
4. Transfer steak to oven to finish cooking– 4-6 minutes or until desired doneness.
5. Arrange plates with arugula, asparagus, avocado, and goat cheese. Top with steak and drizzle with chimicurri sauce and ranch, if desired.
+ view comments . . .