We love baking together around the holidays, and though we love to indulge in our fair share of sugary holiday treats, it’s also nice to have some healthy(ish), allergy-friendly treats on hand that still bring that fun holiday feel for our family and friends alike. Don’t let the nut-free and refined-sugar-free subtitle fool you though, these gingerbread bars are sweet, delicious and festive- the perfect snack for a cold winter afternoon with a hot cocoa for the kiddos and a coffee for mom and dad, or for your next family gathering. They’re even delicious for a quick before-school breakfast!
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Cake Bars
Gluten-free, nut-free, refined sugar free
Makes 12-16 cake bars
2 cups oat flour*
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom (optional, but delicious!)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3-1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8×8” glass baking dish.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients, whisking well.
- Mix wet into dry, stirring until well-combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Let cool and slice.
*To make your own oat flour easily at home, grind 2 cups of dry rolled oats in a blender or food processor until they’re a fine meal. Use certified gluten-free oats if your family is sensitive!
More Favorite Holiday Recipes: