Creamy pasta has always been my jam, as long as I can remember. The only problem? My belly doesn’t do well with a ton of dairy, so creamy sauces are typically saved for special occasions only. Thankfully, there are so many delicious alternatives to my creamy favorites- like this super easy cashew-based creamy chicken and broccoli.Whether you’re a low-dairy girl like myself or you just want an easy pantry alternative that takes 30 seconds to whip up- you will love this perfect cashew cream (my 6 year old couldn’t keep her fingers out of it!)- and the rest of the recipe comes together in NO time.
Perfect Cashew Cream:
2 cups cashews, soaked and drained if not using a high-speed blender
1 1/2 cups cold water
1/3-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp lemon juice (more to taste)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Blend all ingredients well in a high speed blender until smooth. Season to taste (you want this slightly over-seasoned because it will be diluted while tossing with other ingredients).
For cashew ‘alfredo’ add in:
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli:
2 cups cooked and diced or shredded boneless chicken (breast, thighs) seasoned with salt and pepper (if desired)
1 whole cooked spaghetti squash (see below)
2 cups steamed or blanched broccoli
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Slice off bottom of spaghetti squash to allow for more control when slicing. Slice in half and scoop out seeds.
2. Spray or grease a glass or metal baking pan/sheet.
3. Place squash, cut-side down, on baking sheet or pan. Roast in oven for 45 minutes-1 hour.
1. Cut as directed above.
2. Add 1 cup water in Instant Pot and place cut-side down.
3. Cook on high pressure for 10-12 minutes. Release steam and serve.
All together now:
1. Remove meat from squash and toss with broccoli, chicken and 1-2 cups cashew cream.
2. If ingredients are not hot, bake in oven for 15 minutes at 375 until hot and serve!