I LOVE a good veggie burger. Though I’m not entirely plant-based, I do consider myself to be a plant enthusiast, of sorts, and we eat quite a few plant-based meals per week with some high-quality meat (Butcherbox for the win!) interspersed. This has been HUGE for our budget over the past year especially, my body is feeling good, and plants are delicious, right?! Especially when they’re packed into burger form.
Now, don’t get me wrong- I do love a good classic burger, as well, but these super easy, veggie-packed, plant-powered burgers are a PRETTY delicious lunch option if I do say so myself. You can swap the millet for quinoa if you’re feeling daring, but I really do love the hearty texture the millet lends.Did I mention these only have six ingredients? That’s right. (Oh, there’s a vegan option, too!).
Curry Millet Chickpea Veggie Burgers
1 1/2 cups cooked millet*
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup shredded sweet potato
1/3 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp curry powder
1 whisked egg OR 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax whisked with 2 tbsp warm water)
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, mix together millet, zucchini and sweet potato.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, salt and curry powder. Add to millet/veggie mixture and stir to coat.
3. Stir in egg or flax egg. Let sit for a minute to absorb some of the liquid.
4. Form into 4-6 patties, depending on desired size. Bake for 10 minutes per side (or grill for approximately 5-6 minutes per side). Enjoy!
*To cook millet:
- Heat 3 cups of water or vegetable stock to boiling.
- Stir in 1 cup of millet and a pinch of salt. Return to a simmer, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, fluff and enjoy. (I let this millet cool without a cover to remove any excess liquid before burger-fying. Yes, it’s a verb- I said so!)