This recipe is a fan-favorite from Healthy Mama Meal Prep, and I’m bringing it out to the blog in honor of the upcoming Healthy Mama Meal Planner! With the school year all to quickly arriving (or already starting, for some of you in other parts of the country!) we could all use an easy button when it comes to making meals for our family, right?! Where an easy button doesn’t truly exist (I suppose you could have a personal chef- but speaking as someone who WAS one for years, that’s not in most family’s budgets, at least not full-time!). Even companies like Hello Fresh require multi-step prepping, despite skipping the grocery shopping step (and still, expensive). My solution? Prepping ahead and choosing simple, one-pan meals to simplify the cooking experience, while still focusing on REAL food (our family’s top priority!).
This is one of our go-to recipes for a quick weeknight dinner, and it comes together even more easily when you take the time on the weekend to quickly slice up some peppers and onions so it truly is throw-and-go. Ok, ok, so you add the rice or put it on tortillas and I guess that’s TWO pans. But really, it doesn’t get much simpler than this!
I give two options: oven and stove, because the stove top option DOES require more watching, but I like the flavor just that much more!
One Pan Fajitas
from Healthy Mama Meal Prep
2 bell peppers, color of choice
1 medium red or white onion
1 lb chicken breast or flank steak, sliced thinly
avocado oil, as needed
juice of 1/2-1 lime
fajita spice blend, as needed
more lime, cilantro and avocado to serve
fajita spice blend:
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sea salt
Stove top option:
1. Heat a hefty drizzle of avocado oil in a grill or cast-iron pan over medium-high.
2. Toss chicken, peppers and onions generously with fajita spice blend.
3. Place in pan and let cook until starting to blacken on one side. Turn and let cook until soft. Squeeze lime juice over top. Season to taste and serve with more lime, cilantro, avocado and sour cream if desired. I like pairing with some cauliflower rice or on siete foods tortillas!
1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease a large metal baking pan with avocado oil. Layer bell peppers, red onion and chicken breast on top.
2. Drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle generously with fajita spice blend.
3. Squeeze half a lime over top and place in oven.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is about half cooked. Toss and place back in oven. 5. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Do you have a favorite one-pan meal?
+ view comments . . .