It’s no secret I love a good enchilada- and I love any way I can pack my dishes full of veggies (especially when there’s an abundance in the summertime!). These naturally gluten-free, plant-powered (aka veggie packed– also totally vegan if you use plant based cheese) enchiladas are made with thinly sliced zucchini instead of tortillas, come together in no time and are totally kid-approved!
- 8 oz red enchilada sauce (Frontera is our favorite)
- 2 medium zucchinis (see instructions for preparation)
- avocado oil as needed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cups frozen corn
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- sea salt to taste
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style cheese (regular or plant-based)
- cilantro to top
Let’s make them, step by step:
Step 1: Slice Zucchini
- Preheat oven to 375.
- For the zucchini strips: Use a Y-peeler to peel zucchini into long, thin strips (alternately, you can slice zucchini thinly). No need to overthink this– as long as you can get them!
- Set zucchini aside on a paper towel lined plate while you prepare black bean corn mixture.
Step 2: Cook the beans
Heat a drizzle of avocado oil in a large sautee pan. Add onion and cook until turning translucent. Add black beans and corn (from frozen is fine) and all seasonings. Mix well and sautee to heat through. Taste for seasoning, adding salt as needed.
Step 3: Layer
In an 8×8″ baking dish, pour 1/3 of the enchilada sauce, just to coat bottom of pan. Layer with zucchini in one thin layer, top with 1/3 of the black bean/corn mixture and spread a layer of cheese on top. Repeat twice.
Step 4: Top with zucchini and cheese
Top with remaining zucchini slices, Pour remaining enchilada sauce on top and top with remaining cheese.
Step 5: Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until zucchini is soft and cheese is bubbling!
Let cool a few minutes before serving. Top with fresh cilantro and enjoy!Print