1. Rinse rice and cook according to package directions in rice cooker or on the stovetop. While rice is cooking, prepare toppings.
2. To prepare shrimp: Ensure shrimp is patted dry. Combine shrimp and buttermilk or milk/apple cider vinegar mixture and set aside while preparing breading.
3. Whisk together cornstarch, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a large bowl. One at a time, dredge buttermilk-soaked shrimp in cornstarch mixture. Shake off excess and arrange on a plate. Repeat for all shrimp.
4. Once shrimp is all breaded, heat oil to medium-high in the bottom of a high-sided cast-iron or sautee pan. You want the shrimp to sizzle as soon as it hits the pan. Working in 2-3 batches (do not crowd the shrimp!), cook shrimp for 1 minute/side until golden and just cooked through. Place on a paper towel-lined plate and repeat until all shrimp is cooked.
5. To make sauce: Whisk together all ingredients. Set aside until just before serving.
6. To prepare slaw: Whisk together lime juice and zest, rice vinegar, avocado oil, honey and salt. Toss with slaw mix.
7. When ready to serve, toss cooked shrimp with 1/2 sauce mixture. Add more as desired to coat. Arrange bowls with rice, slaw, cilantro and green onions. Drizzle with more sauce as desired.