- 3/4 cup dry farro (2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- avocado oil (or other neutral oil), as needed
- 1.5 lb stew beef
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper, as needed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cups (6-8 oz) sliced mushrooms
- sea salt, as needed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp fresh (or 1/4 tsp dried) thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3–4 cups beef broth
- fresh chopped parsley, to top
- To cook farro, heat water to boil in a small saucepan.
- Add farro and salt. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes until chewy but cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Remove beef from packaging, pat dry and season well with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Heat a drizzle of oil to medium in a large soup pot or dutch oven or heat Instant Pot to saute function.
- Working in 2-3 batches, sear beef on all sides and remove from pot.
- Add in onion, celery and carrot. Season with salt and cook until turning translucent. Add in mushrooms, season again and cook until soft. Stir in garlic and cook 10-15 seconds.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Return beef to pot. Stir in thyme, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Stovetop: Cover and simmer on low 40 minutes, until beef is tender.
- Instant Pot: Switch to manual/high pressure. Cook for 30 minutes. Let naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Stir in farro, season to taste and serve.