2 heads cauliflower, separated into florets (stems chopped, as well)
salt as needed
1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tbsp parmesan to top
- Preheat oven to 375. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add cauliflower and a large pinch of salt. Boil 10-12 minutes, until cauliflower is fork-tender.
- While cauliflower is cooking, prepare brown butter cream sauce. Add butter to a small sauce pot. Slowly heat on medium low, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown. Stir in garlic and sage and cook another 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour and toast 20-30 seconds to create a roux. Add in milk, whisking, until it starts to thicken. Add in heavy cream and parmesan. Simmer, stirring, until mixture reduces enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4-5 minutes.
- To make breadcrumbs, heat 2 tbsp of butter in a small saute pan until melted. Stir in breadcrumbs. Season with a pinch of salt and garlic powder. Stir until golden. Stir in parsley.
- Grease a 9×13″ or casserole dish with butter or oil. Combine cauliflower and brown butter cream sauce. Pour into bottom of dish.
- Top with breadcrumbs and additional parmesan. Bake in oven 20-25 minutes until bubbly. Cover with foil to keep warm until ready to serve.