1 cup (uncooked) quinoa or 3 cups cooked
1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
2 bell peppers, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2–2 cups cooked shredded chicken (see below for instructions)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
sea salt, to taste
juice of 1 lime
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (optional)
sour cream, avocado, cilantro or green onions
- Cook quinoa with 2 cups of water on stove or in rice cooker (to cook on stove, add to pan, bring to boil, cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Fluff with fork).
- Preheat oven to 375. Heat oil to medium high in a large cast iron or sautée pan. Add peppers & onions and season well with sea salt. Cook until starting to blacken. Stir, turn heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Stir in garlic for 10-15 seconds.
- Mix quinoa with shredded chicken, broth, spices and and pepper/onion mix. Squeeze in lime juice. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a baking dish, or back into cast iron. Top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Broil 1-2 minutes until cheese is bubbly.