2 tbsp cooking oil (olive, avocado, coconut)
1 small onion, diced
4 medium carrots, chopped small
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3 cups cooked chickpeas (~2 cans, drained)
1 can diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted, without chiles- but any variety will do)
3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste (you will need less salt if you use salted broth)
black pepper to taste
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
small handful almonds, chopped + cilantro to top
1. In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil until hot. Add onion and carrot and cook until starting to soften. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in garlic.
2. Mix all spices and stir in, cooking for a minute to toast.
3. Add chickpeas and tomato; stir to mix well with vegetables and spices. Season with a bit of salt, pepper and lemon juice and add broth.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, at least 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to meld (this can be made in the slow cooker or instant pot, as well– I recommend completing steps 1-2 first for maximum flavor!).
5. Before serving, top with chopped almonds and cilantro