1 tbsp coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cardamom
dash of pepper
1–2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 cups raw butternut squash
1 cup broth
1/2–1 cup full-fat coconut milk
2 cups finely chopped kale
sea salt to taste
- Heat oil to medium in a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion and cook until translucent. Stir in garlic and let cook for 20-30 seconds.
- Stir in all spices and let toast for 15-20 seconds.
- Add drained and rinsed chickpeas, stir to coat with spices.
- Stir in squash and top with broth and coconut milk.
- Bring to a rolling simmer. Reduce to low and let simmer at least 20 minutes to cook squash. Stir in kale in last 5 minutes to wilt. Season to taste. Add more coconut milk if desired. Serve warm.