Life is full, in our house, and time to prep elaborate meals is hard to come by. I’m sure you mamas can relate– which is why I am ALL about prepping ahead as much as possible to make healthy dinners happen. In fact, I just posted a long-overdue meal prep over on Youtube with how I planned and prepped for my family, last week. Haven’t watched it? Get over there, mama!
Today’s recipe is one of my FAVORITE easy prep-ahead dinners: quinoa fajita casserole. You can use whatever leftover chicken (or whatever meat you prefer!) you have– whether it be instant pot chicken, leftover slow cooker chicken or rotisserie, along with some easily prepped peppers and onions and pre-cooked quinoa to make this dinner happen in NO time. Make it, this week!
1 cup (uncooked) quinoa or 3 cups cooked
1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
2 bell peppers, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2–2 cups cooked shredded chicken (see below for instructions)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
sea salt, to taste
juice of 1 lime
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese (optional)
sour cream, avocado, cilantro or green onions
- Cook quinoa with 2 cups of water on stove or in rice cooker (to cook on stove, add to pan, bring to boil, cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Fluff with fork).
- Preheat oven to 375. Heat oil to medium high in a large cast iron or sautée pan. Add peppers & onions and season well with sea salt. Cook until starting to blacken. Stir, turn heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Stir in garlic for 10-15 seconds.
- Mix quinoa with shredded chicken, broth, spices and and pepper/onion mix. Squeeze in lime juice. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a baking dish, or back into cast iron. Top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Broil 1-2 minutes until cheese is bubbly.