1 medium to large spaghetti squash
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
2 large cloves minced garlic
1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 jar marinara sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream or coconut cream (optional)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese (or a mix)
To prepare squash:
Preheat oven to 375.
Slice off bottom of spaghetti squash to allow for more control when slicing.
Slice in half and scoop out seeds. Spray or grease a glass or metal baking pan/sheet.
Place squash, cut-side down,on baking sheet or pan.
Roast in oven for 45 minutes-1 hour or cook on rack with 1 cup water in Instant Pot for 10 minutes.
To prepare bolognese:
- Cook spaghetti squash (see directions, above)- this can be done ahead of time! When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375.
- Heat oil to medium in a large high-sided sautee pan or braiser.
- Add onions and celery and cook until translucent. Stir in grated carrot and mushrooms and cook until starting to soften. Stir in garlic.
- Add beef and season with Italian seasoning and salt. Cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in sauce and let simmer on low for 5 minutes. Stir in cream if using.
- Fill each squash half with bolognese mixture. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted.