1 tbsp coconut oil
1 lb chicken or extra-firm tofu (chopped or cubed)
1 medium onion, sliced
2 small bell peppers, sliced
1 2″ piece ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp green curry paste (I like the Thai Kitchen brand)
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1/2–1 cup broth
2 tsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
splash fish sauce
1 eggplant, sliced thin (halved first if large)
2 cups green beans
small handful thai chiles (optional)
1/4 cup fresh chopped or chiffonade basil
sea salt to taste
1. Heat coconut oil in a large pan. Add protein to pan and cook until golden (mostly cooked through for chicken). Remove from pan and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add onions and peppers. Sautee until beginning to turn translucent. Stir in garlic and ginger.
3. Stir in curry paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add coconut milk, 1/2 cup broth, brown sugar, tamari and a splash of fish sauce (yes, it does smell a little funky- the smell will go away and you’ll be left with a DELICIOUS curry broth).
4. Bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add in eggplant and chicken/tofu.
5. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and eggplant is soft. Stir in green beans and cook another 3-4 minutes until tender.
6. Stir in chiles, if using, as well as basil. Taste for seasoning. Add more tamari, fish sauce or salt as needed. Serve over a bed of rice with more basil sprinkled on top.