- 2 tsp olive oil (more as needed)
- 1 package Italian sausage links (chicken or pork)- spicy if you want a kick, crumbled
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3–4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10-oz package tortellini
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Fresh grated parmesan (optional)
- Heat oil to medium-high in a soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add crumbled sausage and cook until browned. Remove and set aside.
- If needed, add additional drizzle of oil. Add onions and cook until starting to turn translucent. Stir in carrots and celery and cook until starting to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic. Add in tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and broth. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Still at a rolling simmer, add in tortellini and cook for 4-6 minutes until tortellini is soft. Stir in spinach and lemon juice.
- Season to taste and serve with fresh grated parmesan on top.