1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour (I recommend the Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar (we use organic cane)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
3/4 cup white chocolate chips (this is a great allergy-friendly brand, we also love ghirardelli)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together softened butter and sugar.
- While mixing slowly, add in egg and peppermint extract. One cup at a time, mix in flour mixture until combined. Stir in white chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, scoop heaping 1-tbsp balls onto baking sheet, spaced 2″ apart (do not flatten).
- Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on pan. Remove to a baking rack.
- To top, melt wafers over a double boiler (place a heat-safe bowl on top of a half-full simmering pot of water, ensuring it covers it entirely, and stir with a silicone spatula until melted) or in increments in the microwave. Drizzle over top of cookies (I recommend doing this on the cooling rack over top another baking sheet to catch the drips) and top with smashed candy canes. Cool completely to allow chocolate to set and enjoy!