Breakfast, the most important meal of the day… and often the most difficult. We want our kids (and ourselves) to have a balanced breakfast before school, work, whatever we’re doing that day… but mornings can be rushed and often it’s easier to just pour a bowl of cereal and be on your way.
Before you click away- I know cereal is delicious and easy, and there’s nothing wrong with it for a quick breakfast option. But often we want a little more when it comes to a balance of nutrients to keep ourselves and our kiddos full and fueled for the school or work day– and there are other easy options!
Like with school lunches, we have a formula we follow for balanced breakfasts- and a system to make it happen.
Our Easy Balanced Breakfast System:
The formula is simple- there needs to be a protein and it needs a fruit or veggie in it. Simple as that! Protein, especially a combo of protein and fat- is what keeps us full for more than an hour or two, so we make sure to get a little in, no matter what combo we choose.
Choose two + a backup
Like lunches, we allow each kiddo to choose one option for the week and in the morning, the kids choose from one of those options or our backup option.
Our backup is always a smoothie, we always have the ingredients on hand so the kids know they can always have a smoothie (we use the Healthy Heights kids protein, linked in my Kids shop on Amazon).
This system means there is no (or very little) fighting or complaining in the morning- they know their choices and typically one option is already made ahead, so breakfasts come together in no time.
20+ Ideas for Easy Balanced Family Breakfasts:
2) Yogurt + fruit or fruit sauce and/or granola
4) The classic- Eggs and Toast
5) Family and community favorite- egg cups! Meal Prep Egg Cups (3 ways)
6) Homemade muffin with chicken sausage or yogurt on the side
7) Chicken sausage + toast or fruit
8) Kefir (we love the Probug brand) and toast
9) Homemade or instant oatmeal
10) Baked oatmeal cups
11) Smoothies- these can be easily made ahead by making smoothie bags (here’s my balanced smoothie formula– there’s also 7 ideas in my Budget Breakfasts E-book)
12) Avocado toast + egg on the side
13) Hard cooked eggs + fruit
14) French toast casserole (Recipe in my Budget Breakfasts e-book) OR French Toast Sticks
15) Chia pudding
16) Overnight oats (Recipe in my Budget Breakfasts e-book)
18) Banana sushi (A wrap spread with peanut or almond butter, a drizzle of honey and a banana- rolled and sliced
20) Rice cake with peanut butter + banana
21) Egg Bake (Recipe in my Budget Breakfasts E-book)
What are your favorite make-ahead or easy balanced family breakfasts? I’d love for you to share with me over on Instagram!