Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links in which I earn a small commission from your purchase (at no extra cost to you).
Ok friends, I’ve been asked time and time again when I share about running- what is my favorite gear? Honestly, the BEST thing about running is it doesn’t require a ton of gear! It’s an outside, fresh air kind of activity, no gym membership required (unless of course you want to run on a treadmill, which is 100% ok, just not my style!). However, there are a few things I feel I would prefer to not live without. These are the few essentials I’ve come to love and used for years as a seasoned runner of 15+ years, but just remember- all you need is a pair of sneakers and some comfy clothes to get out there and run!
Clothes and shoes:
- Shoes. Ok, these truly are essentials. My best recommendation? Go to a store and get your gait and arch measured. Decide what feels good for you, as well. Do you like something super-supportive (like Hokas?) or more lightweight and minimalist? I like a little support, but I also love a lightweight shoes. My go-tos have been Asics (I wear the GT 2000- I am a neutral/slight overpronator) for the vast majority of my running life, but I’ve also had success with Brooks (I like the Ghosts).
- Clothes: Loose fitting clothes are what is recommended- but ultimately, wear whatever YOU feel comfortable in! Here are my go-tos:
- Lululemon running shirt and compression leggings (these are my $27 favorites from Amazon!)
- Lululemon running shirt and shorts I like bike shorts or running shorts– I personally like the kind with tighter shorts underneath.
- For colder runs, I wear a Lululemon long sleeve (same shirt, in the long sleeve version) and a vest OR a tight fitting, no string zip up (this is the one I wear, though it’s not made specifically for running).
- Ear warmers + running gloves. When it’s colder, I’ll also wear these to protect my ears and hands!
- Great socks– You want socks that are breathable! I like the kind that are lightly cushioned and high on the back so they don’t rub. This obviously depends on your shoes but socks make a HUGE difference. Look for ones that don’t cause chafe based on the shape of your shoes!
- Last but not least, I often run with a hat or headband. My favorite hats are the Lululemon Fast and Free and the Nike Womens Featherlight hat.
For longer runs:
- Running watch. Though I don’t think this is an essential for a new runner, I do find it helpful to track pace and for the GPS feature (so I know how far I’ve run!). I have the Garmin 245 and LOVE it.
- Running belt. Again, not an essential- but helpful especially if you want to carry fuel or water. My go-to has been the Flipbelt– I recently upgraded to the elite with the water bottle and love it.
- Portable water bottle. I’m not a huge fan of the camelbak-style water option, so I use the ones that go with the Flipbelt (you can purchase them individually) and they’ve worked well for me with or without the belt (on the rare days I don’t wear the belt!) they’re super lightweight, thin and hold a good amount of water.
- Megababe thigh rescue. This IS the GOAT. The one essential you need aside from sneakers, if you’re going to be running longer than a few miles, or like me (and most of the rest of the world), your thighs touch when you run. Get it, girl! It’s a game changer.
- Sport earbuds. The ones I use are only about $60 and work great! Going cordless has been a game changer!
- Reflector vest if I’m going to run in the early morning or evening. It’s not cute- but safety is important, friends!
- Electrolytes- I’ll share more of my favorite fuel, in a future podcast episode, but electrolytes are a MUST especially in the heat. My go-tos are Liquid IV (this is more of a sports drink, I use it on longer runs) and LMNT (I drink this daily).
- Compression Sleeves. Again, not an essential for everyone, but helpful for tight calves and shin splints.
- Sunscreen. You need to keep that skin healthy! My favorite is the Alba Cool Sport Sunscreen. It’s a little more on the natural side of things and it sprays on- otherwise I won’t wear it!
I’ll share more of my favorite fuel in the future, but because I know I’ll be asked– my favorite fuel is:
- Honey Stinger Gels. My alltime favorite gel that doesn’t mess with my sensitive digestion!
- BOLT energy chews. I typically use the non-caffeinated ones, and I find they’re great to be able to portion out a few when you need them on long runs.
That’s it, friends! I hope you found this helpful- I’d love to hear your favorite running gear, so leave a comment or shoot me a message over on Instagram!