1/2 tbsp oil of choice
1 small onion, diced
1 small bell pepper, diced
1 lb. ground turkey (beef works here, too)
1 batch taco seasoning (or 2 tsp chili powder + 1 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp oregano)
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
sea salt as needed
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (optional)
4 medium jalapeños, sliced thin (optional)
Taco Seasoning Mix (enough for 1 batch):
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- add an extra punch: 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Heat oil to medium. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until translucent.
- Add ground turkey and taco seasoning and cook until turkey is brown throughout.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil sweet potatoes until soft. Drain well.
- Mash sweet potatoes with sea salt and butter if using until smooth.
- In an 8×8 baking dish, layer turkey, mashed sweet potatoes, cheese if using and jalapeños.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until hot throughout. If desired, broil in last 2-3 minutes to brown cheese before serving. Re-heats well as a meal prep item!