You all know I’m a fan of upleving traditional Thanksgiving sides– these green beans are no exception! You will NOT miss the green bean casserole with these babies on your table. Don’t skimp on the crispy shallots, either- they truly round out the dish with the perfect amount of salty crunch!
For the hazelnuts, make sure to just lightly toast them enough that they’re aromatic- too much toasting and they’ll go from toasty to (burnt) toast- less is more, here!
And don’t forget- you measure garlic with your heart, so add as much as your Thanksgiving heart desires!
Knock Your Socks Off Lemony Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Crispy Shallots
Serves 4-6 as a side
2 lb green beans, trimmed2 shallots, divided- 1 sliced and 1 minced2-3 large cloves garlic, sliced2 tbsp butter, more as desired 1/3 cup hazelnuts, chopped
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon olive or avocado oil and sea salt as needed
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In the meantime, prepare an ice bath large enough for the green beans.
2. When water is boiling, blanch green beans for 3-4 minutes or until bright green and lightly tender (you’ll finish cooking them, later). Once cooked, plunge into an ice bath until cold.
3. While green beans are cooling, lightly toast hazelnuts over low heat in a dry pan until aromatic. Set aside and drain green beans.
4. Heat a drizzle of oil and 2 tbsp butter to medium in a large high-sided pan. Sautee shallots and garlic until translucent.
5. Add green beans and toss to coat with oil. Add lemon zest and juice and a pinch of sea salt and toss. Taste for seasoning, add more salt or butter if desire and remove from pan.
6. In a smaller pan, heat 1/2 tbsp olive or avocado oil to medium-high. Test a slice of shallot to ensure oil is hot, and carefully place shallots in a single layer. DO NOT SALT- you’ll do that later!
7. Carefully swirl pan to coat with oil and let cook 1-2 minutes, until golden. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Remove to a paper towel lined pan and season with salt.
8. Arrange green beans on a serving dish and top with hazelnuts and crispy shallots. Enjoy!
More Thanksgiving Recipes:
- Crispy Garlic Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Maple Thyme Glazed Carrots
- Gluten-free Cornbread Stuffing with Cranberries + Pecans
- Sage Apple Roasted Chicken (or turkey)
- Bacon Cranberry Brussels Sprouts
- Autumn Kale Salad
- Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Pear and goat cheese salad with rosemary walnuts and maple balsamic vinaigrette
- Thanksgiving Cheese Board for two with rosemary pumpkin hummus
- Spiced Sweet Potato Pecan Loaf with Vanilla Cashew Cream Icing