1/3 cup maple syrup
3 whole sprigs thyme, plus 1 tsp thyme leaves (separate)avocado or olive oil
4 tbsp butter
1 lb carrots, peeled and sliced thinly on a diagonal
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
sea salt as needed
- In a small pot, combine maple syrup and thyme leaves. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced by about half.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed pan (I like using cast-iron, if you have it) to medium-high.
- Add your carrots to the pan and stir to coat with oil.
- Season carrots with cumin, coriander and a generous sprinkle of salt.
- Stir, cover and cook, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Briefly remove carrots from heat and stir in maple syrup. Return to heat and let simmer until syrup clings to carrots. Stir in thyme, season to taste and serve.