I’ve talked about the balance bowl before- it’s a concept I introduced in Healthy Mama Meal Prep and it’s my simple formula for creating a balanced, nutrient-dense meal out of simple ingredients you have on hand. Buddah bowls aren’t new- but the balance bowl concept plays off of the original concept with a balance of nutrients to fuel your mama day. Meals don’t need to be fancy to be satisfying! I’ve had this easy prep-ahead plant-based balance bowl on repeat, lately, and I knew I needed to share it with all of you. Whether you are fully plant-based or just a veggie enthusiast like me, this plant-packed power bowl is energizing, packed with nutrients and most importantly: delicious!
You can mix up your balance bowl in any way you’d like. The basic formula is this:
Protein: this is the most filling component, so make sure you don’t miss out on this part!
Greens/Veggies: Pack it full! That’s what gives this bowl POWER. Veggies are underrated as energy foods.
Base: Add some fiber and vitamin-packed grains, noodles or cauli rice as the base to your bowl.
Sauce: Make sure it has some healthy fats to round it all out, like my favorite citrus tahini sauce.
I served it up with a healthy scoop of quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli, and of course- my favorite roasted chickpeas. Continue reading for the recipes!
The best part? I prepped it all up on the weekend so this bowl came together easily, every day– and you can mix it up with leftover protein, veggies or sauces to switch up the flavors.
For the veggies:
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Toss your bite-sized chopped veggies with your favorite cooking oil (I prefer avocado, coconut or olive), sea salt and seasonings to taste. I love using garlic powder + sea salt for broccoli, and cumin, paprika and garlic for the sweet potatoes- add some chili powder for some spice!
3. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Toss and bake another 10-20 minutes (depending on size and consistency of vegetables; sweet potatoes will take 25-35 minutes, broccoli takes 20-30) until soft through and crispy on top.
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Drain 3 cups of pre-cooked or canned chickpeas and pat dry.
3. Toss with ~1 tbsp oil of choice savory spice blend (below) and sea salt.
4. Roast for 10-15 minutes before tossing and continuing to roast another 10-15 minutes until desired crispiness.
Savory spice blend:
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp cumin
pinch chili powder
pinch black pepper
Citrus Tahini Sauce:
Keeps well in the fridge for up to a week. you might need to whisk with more water as needed. 1/4 cup tahini
2 tbsp orange juice
1/2 tsp orange zest
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground coriander
big pinch sea salt
honey (optional) if you want it sweeter.
1. Whisk all in a large bowl.
2. Add water as needed to thin. Taste for seasoning and add more salt as needed. If you like a sweeter sauce, add a squeeze of honey and whisk in.