I’m not sure if there is a summer flavor combination I love more than strawberry basil- so why not turn it into a refreshing summer cocktail? It only took one sip to decide this is going to be my go-to cocktail for the Summer of ’21!
Basil is in the same family as mint, making it the perfect substitute in this twist on the classic mojito. Featuring an easy homemade strawberry puree, the essential squeeze of lime juice, lightly sweetened with some cane sugar and of course- white rum (or leave it out and make it a mocktail!), this recipe is simple- no shaker required- and as refreshing as it delicious.
Homemade Strawberry Puree:
1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
2 tbsp water (more as needed)
If desired: 1-2 tbsp sugar to sweeten
- Blend strawberries with water in a high speed blender until smooth, adding sweetener if desired to sweeten. Keeps in fridge for 3-4 days.
2 tsp cane sugar
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (more to top)
1/2 lime, juiced (slices to garnish)
1-2 tbsp strawberry puree (see below)
2 oz white rum
4 oz Sparkling water or club soda (I like using Topo Chico)
- Muddle basil with sugar and lime juice.
- Stir in strawberry puree.
- Add a large handful of ice and pour rum over top.
- Top with sparkling water and stir to combine.
- Serve with a sprig of basil and extra lime wedges.