I’ve had a few requests for more healthy desserts, and I have to admit… first, I’m totally not a baker. I can, I will… but that’s more my husband’s thing.
I also believe all food should be enjoyed for what it is, and we don’t have to make dessert healthy to enjoy it.
At the same time, I know I also have friends who feel better (myself included!) with less gluten, grains or processed sugar in their life– so having a dessert that meets those needs AND satisfies is the absolute best.This sweet potato loaf is one of those recipes!! I’ve been making it for years- it’s easy enough for the non-bakers amongst us to make with ease, and it’s delicious enough to think it was harder to make than it is!
Easy to use almond flour is jazzed up with spices, sweet potato puree (you could sub pumpkin here, too- and p.s. I use canned!) and maple syrup for a slightly sweet and spiced loaf that could double as breakfast, snack or dessert- especially with the easy dairy-free cashew cream (no desire to make cashew cream? leave it naked or top with Simple Mills, instead!).
It’s the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table (as you’re probably already using the ingredients, anyway!).
Sweet Potato Pecan Loaf
Makes 1 loaf
2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
pinch cloves or allspice
1/2 cup sweet potato puree (pumpkin works here, too)
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped pecans
Vanilla Cashew Cream Icing:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight or covered in boiling water, let sit 10 minutes and drain.
- 1/3 cup apple juice or cider
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or 2 dates, pitted (you might need an extra tbsp juice to blend)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
Sweet Potato Pecan Loaf
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease a glass loaf pan well.
- Combine dry ingredients (through spices) in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients (through eggs).
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until smooth. Stir in pecans.
- Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Once cool, ice with vanilla cashew cream.
Vanilla Cashew Cream
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Spread on loaf before serving.